Funding and mentoring opportunity for postgraduate students and independent historians.
In 2021 the Australian Historical Association is offering travel and writing bursaries linked to the AHA annual conference.
The bursaries are intended to encourage and support emerging historians who would otherwise be unable to attend the conference.
Applications for the 2021 round of bursaries open in April and close 15 June 2021.
The bursary, valued at $750 per applicant, provides financial assistance to conference participants. The bursary is to be used to cover travel and accommodation; the conference registration fee will be waived. Monies will be paid to recipients by electronic funds transfer or cheque in the week following the conference.
Workshops and mentoring
The workshops and mentoring will be conducted by experienced historians and will assist bursary recipients to turn their conference paper into a journal article.
This bursary scheme is open to postgraduate students and independent scholars in the fields of history, heritage and museum studies who have little or no institutional support to cover their attendance at the annual AHA conference.
Interested applicants who have already submitted abstracts to the conference and/or paid their registration can still apply – their registration will be refunded if successful.
Terms and conditions
The bursaries will support 4 scholars to attend the conference, present papers within the overall conference program and participate in follow-up mentoring which will be held during the conference. Recipients are required to:
- submit the abstract of their conference paper by the abstract submission deadline
- submit their draft conference paper to their mentor in October 2021, so that they have time to provide comments before the conference starts
- attend two writing workshops scheduled during the AHA conference
- meet with their allocated mentor during the week of the conference at a mutually convenient time
- submit a revised article to the journal agreed on by the recipient and their mentor by 30 April 2022: a submission acknowledgement email to be forwarded to the AHA
- advise the AHA if and when the article is accepted for publication
Applications provide details of their proposed conference paper and writing topic, as well as demonstrating their need for financial support. Applicants should complete the application form and send it as an email attachment to the AHA Executive Officer at email@example.com (subject line ‘AHA Postgraduate Bursary 2021’).
All applications will be acknowledged by email. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by email.
Applications will be assessed by a panel of judges nominated by the AHA Executive Committee. Late applications will not be accepted. The decision of the AHA will be final and no correspondence will be entered into or feedback given.