Description of Award
The Patrick Wolfe Bursary will be awarded annually until 2029 to assist two early career researchers participate in the AHA annual conference and attend the conference dinner. It is funded by a generous donation to the AHA’s Public Fund, which supports the creation, publication, dissemination and discussion of historical literature in Australia.
The prize honours the career of Dr Patrick Wolfe (1949-2016), an eminent historian and forerunner in the field of settler colonial studies. In 2016 when Patrick Wolfe died, we sadly lost one of the most original, committed, and generous historians of colonialism. Patrick’s intellectual influence was immense; he was read by historians, anthropologists, archaeologists, cultural theorists and Indigenous scholars the world over. He was a generous supervisor and mentor, never failing to celebrate his students’ achievements. Patrick was also a bon vivant and brilliant conversationalist, his friendship circle was immense. This award is designed to extend Patrick’s legacy and support early career researchers to participate in the AHA Conference. The Award is sponsored through the AHA Public Fund.
Amount of Award
The conference registration fee will be waived for the two successful applicants. Attendance at the conference dinner will also be covered.
- Applicants must be presenting at the AHA conference.
- Applicants must be Early Career Researchers in history or related fields within five years of the completion of their PhDs.
- Applicants must be members of the Australian Historical Association.
- Applicants must reside in Australia.
- Applicants must not be employed full-time by a university or public history institution when the application is submitted.
- Indigenous Early Career Researchers in history are strongly encouraged apply.
- No age criteria are applied.
- Applicants must not be members of the AHA Executive Committee or AHA Public Fund Committee.
Applications open in January and close 31 March.
- Complete the application form.
- Provide a current CV (three-page maximum).
- Applications and CVs should be emailed to the Administrative Officer at email@example.com. The subject line should read ‘Patrick Wolfe ECR Conference Bursary, SURNAME HERE’.
- Applications are due 31 March 2024.
The Patrick Wolfe Bursary will be judged by a panel appointed by the AHA. The decision of the panel will be final.