Description of Award
The Australian Historical Association is delighted to announce a new early career researcher bursary for attendance of the annual AHA Conference. The Patrick Wolfe Bursary will be awarded annually until 2028 to assist two early career researchers participate in the AHA annual conference and attend the conference dinner.
The prize honours the career of Dr Patrick Wolfe (1949-2016), an eminent historian and forerunner in the field of settler colonial studies. In 2016 when Patrick Wolfe died, we sadly lost one of the most original, committed, and generous historians of colonialism. Patrick’s intellectual influence was immense; he was read by historians, anthropologists, archaeologists, cultural theorists and Indigenous scholars the world over. He was a generous supervisor and mentor, never failing to celebrate his students’ achievements. Patrick was also a bon vivant and brilliant conversationalist, his friendship circle was immense. This award is designed to extend Patrick’s legacy and support early career researchers to participate in the AHA Conference.
Amount of Award
The conference registration fee will be waived for the successful applicants. Attendance at the conference dinner will also be covered.
- Applicants must be presenting at the AHA conference.
- Applicants must be Early Career Researchers in history or related fields within five years of the completion of their PhDs.
- Applicants must be members of the Australian Historical Association.
- Applicants must reside in Australia.
- Applicants must not be employed full-time by a university or public history institution when the application is submitted.
- Indigenous Early Career Researchers in history are strongly encouraged apply.
- No age criteria are applied.
Applications will open in April 2021.
- Complete the application form.
- Provide a current CV (three-page maximum).
- Applications should be emailed to the Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for 2021 applications is Tuesday the 15th June 2021.
The Patrick Wolfe Bursary will be judged by a panel appointed by the AHA. The decision of the panel will be final.