Funding and mentoring opportunity for postgraduate students and independent historians.
In 2022 the Australian Historical Association is offering writing and financial support linked to the AHA annual conference.
The scheme is intended to encourage and support emerging historians who would otherwise be unable to attend the conference.
Applications for the 2022 round of bursaries open in late January and close 31 March 2022.
The scheme will cover the cost of recipients’ registration to attend the 2022 AHA conference.
The workshops and mentoring will be conducted by experienced historians and will assist recipients to turn their conference paper into a submissible journal article or book chapter.
This support scheme is open to postgraduate students and independent scholars in the fields of history, heritage and museum studies who have little or no institutional support to cover their attendance at the annual AHA conference.
Interested applicants who have already submitted abstracts to the conference and/or paid their registration can still apply – their registration will be refunded if successful.
Terms and conditions
The scheme will support up to 6 scholars to participate in the conference, present papers within the overall conference program and access follow-up mentoring which will be held during the conference. Recipients are required to:
- submit the abstract of their conference paper by the general abstract submission deadline;
- submit their draft conference paper to their mentor in May-early June 2022, so that they have time to provide comments before the conference starts;
- participate in two writing workshops scheduled during the AHA conference;
- meet with their allocated mentor during the week of the conference at a mutually convenient time;
- submit a revised article to the journal agreed on by the recipient and their mentor by 30 November 2022: a submission acknowledgement email is to be forwarded to the AHA;
- advise the AHA if and when the article is accepted for publication.
Applications will provide details of the proposed conference paper and writing topic, and demonstrate the applicant’s need for financial support.
Applicants should complete the application form and send it as an email attachment to the AHA Executive Officer at email@example.com (subject line ‘AHA Postgraduate Conference Support Scheme 2022).
All applications will be acknowledged by email. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by email.
Applications will be assessed by a panel of judges nominated by the AHA Executive Committee. Late applications will not be accepted. The decision of the AHA will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into or feedback given.