We are delighted to announce the books that have been shortlisted for this year’s Magarey Medal for Biography. The Magarey is a biennial prize for the best biographical writing by a female author on an Australian subject published in the preceding two years. The awarding of the prize is administered and judged by a panel set up by the Association for the Study of Australian Literature and the Australian Historical Association. The prize is very generously donated by Professor Emerita Susan Magarey.
- Bernadette Brennan, A Writing Life: Helen Garner and Her Work (Text, 2017).
- Judith Brett, The Enigmatic Mr Deakin (Text Publishing, 2017).
- Suzanne Falkiner, Mick: A Life of Randolph Stow (UWA Publishing, 2016).
- Cathy McLennan, Saltwater: An Epic Fight for Justice in the Tropics (UQP, 2016).
- Alexis Wright, Tracker (Giramondo, 2017).
The judging panel commends all the authors whose books are shortlisted this year, and both ASAL and AHA thank the judges for their work. The winner of the Magarey Medal will be announced at the awards ceremony on Tuesday 3 July, on the opening night of the 2018 Literary Convention, at the ANU in Canberra. For more details: http://slll.cass.anu.edu.au/events/2018-literary-studies-convention-1