The NLA summer scholarships support younger scholars and a scholar from rural or regional Australia undertaking postgraduate research, who require special access to the Library’s collections. Scholars spend six weeks at the Library, commencing in the second week of January each year. They have privileged access to the Library’s materials and facilities, as well as sustained interaction with Library staff.
Norman McCann Scholarships are offered to those working in Australian history, Australian literature, librarianship, archives administration, and museum studies. Seymour Scholarships will be for those undertaking biographical research. The Carol Mills Scholarship is awarded to a candidate from regional or rural Australia.
Scholarship holders receive:
- an honorarium of $300 per week
- twin share accommodation for six weeks at University House, ANU (breakfast included), and
- a return economy air fare from their home within Australia.
The scholarships are open to students who:
- have commenced PhD study, and
- are under the age of 35 at 31 December in the year of their application (McCann/Seymour scholarships)
- the Carol Mills Scholarship is open to a PhD candidate of any age from regional or rural Australia